Saturday, May 30, 2015

Panhandling on Virtual Corners


How bad does it have to get before you ask for help?
Last night I posted this status on facebook: I'm going to spare you the details, but our financial situation is bleak. If anyone is inspired to buy us a case of toilet paper that would be awesome...

And in the early morning hours, when I wasn't sleeping, but wished I was, I realized that facebook status was me standing on a virtual corner panhandling, begging, with a virtual cardboard sign that took the form of a facebook status. 

It's embarrassing to admit how many times I've been on this corner: posted a facebook status, written a blog post, or offered up items for sale, in a desperate attempt to increase our cash flow.

It's hard for others to know how hard we have worked, only to end up staring into the financial abyss once again. It's discouraging to recount how many hopeful job interviews have ended up with a "thanks but no thanks," and how many job applications never even got a response. It's hard to acknowledge publicly that once the mortgage leaves the bank account on the first we don't have any money to pay the rest of the bills, that we can't afford dental floss, that we need to ask our friends if they have it in their hearts to buy us toilet paper.

Sometimes when we pass a person standing on a busy corner, holding up their cardboard sign, I say, "Maybe it's time for me to stand on a corner and beg for money."

 Last night I realize, I already am. 





(Come join the conversation at Some Days Are Hard on facebook by clicking HERE.)

No comments:

Post a Comment