Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Finding Comfort through Netflix


Sometimes adults express frustration or irritation with small children who want to read the same book over and over, or watch the same video for days on end. Many parents (most parents?) set limits, control their kids' screen time, and down right refuse to play that video or read that book one more time.  Not me, I'm with the kids. When your mind is spinning, life feels out of control, or you are feeling worn out by all the everythingness of life sometimes you need to curl up and watch something you've watched before.

Yesterday I needed to make progress on some fiber projects that need to get done in the next week. Mentally I was exhausted from life, coping, supporting those I love: the neverendingness of poverty and chaos that permeates every corner of my existence. Heading to Netflix I tried watching a series I'd just started, but it was jarring and uncomfortable. Giving up on that show I clicked on the pilot of White Collar. There they were, those characters I'd journeyed with to the end of their story. My mind settled, my body relaxed, and, with my crochet hook in hand, I escaped.


Don't underestimate the power of the familiar, for you or for children. 



No comments:

Post a Comment